Just for my (and others’?) future reference, here’s a list of the issues I have to straighten out with Ubuntu before I can find it 100% usable, as well as any fixes I’ve found.
Desktop effects not enabled.See previous post.
- Desktop effects slow down scrolling, switching Firefox tabs, etc.
Backspace in Firefox does not cause browser to go back to previous page.Change the browser.backspace_action value in about:config to “0″.
- The location bar search feature of Firefox still doesn’t work!
- I can’t change the kernel VGA mode.
- I can’t edit ID3 tags for AAC files.
- I can’t convert said AAC files to OGG (I already tried using SoundConverter).
- I don’t know how to install NetBeans.
- I don’t know how to change the login screen resolution.
And some of the more obvious ones:
No Flash plugin.Install the Flash plugin when Firefox prompts you to do so. No Java.Run sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-sdk. No MP3 playback.Install the “GStreamer extra plugins” and “Ubuntu restricted extras” packages.
- No DVD playback. (I know there’s a way to fix this, I just haven’t gotten around to doing it.)